Sunday, February 8, 2009
Ponderings
So I have been thinking more and more lately about how our lives will change drastically once again when our 2nd child comes home. Not a new thought of course as we have been in this process for almost 18 months now (2 pregnancies worth!) and there will be more months to come as we don't even have a referral yet.... Aside from figuring out schedules, daycare and transportation (with our choice of being a one-car family), the aspect that I have not really grasped (nor I imagine I can until it actually happens) is Alexander's adjustment. As those of you who know us well, to say that Alexander has fully attached to us after 2.5 years would be an understatement. And it would also be an understatement to say that he has a close bond with him mama. He will be a great big brother and talks about it frequently. He does have the usual comments about certain things being "his" and "special" and thus could not possibly be shared with his coming "baby-brother-or-sister". We have anticipated the adjustment to be somewhat difficult for a while but recently he has noticed me playing or interacting with other children his age or younger and being none too happy about it. Will this be harder than we think? Will he have a particularly hard time? Maybe and I thought it's good we're looking into this more now and try to prepare him and us for the new reality. But then my sweet, sensitive son said something the other day that took my breath away and made me realize it will be fine no matter what. He said, out of the blue as we were not discussing his future sibling at all, "I will tell my baby-brother-or-sister that I love them every day".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
BubbleShare: Share photos - Easy Photo Sharing
1 comment:
Laura - How sweet of Alexander! We worried about Luca's adjustment when we adopted Jax and were pleasantly surprised at how well he did. We did allow him to have "special toys" that Jax could not touch or play with and we set up a table in the dining room for him to play with these toys alone (mostly they had small pieces and were unsafe for Jax anyhow). The other thing we did was to plan "dates" with Mommy and Daddy. He would chose the place and we would have a "date" - Nick would watch Jax or vice versa. Luca loved this and it gave us time to be alone with just him. Now, I have no idea how all of this is going to play out when our little surprise arrives in a few weeks :)
Post a Comment