We've had a busy week here and it's only Wednesday! On Sunday evening Alexander and I went to the fireworks and had a fun time...although Alexander spent most of the time throwing rocks into the water with a friend and I'm not sure how many fireworks he actually saw. But I liked them. Lucas had gone to bed pretty late that night but took a 3-hour nap on Monday...yikes I thought he would never go to sleep that night but sure enough 8p out like a light. Monday afternoon we had our intake with Early Intervention (program that gives speech, motor or other support for any kids under 3 who are delayed) and than on Tuesday afternoon Lucas had his 2-hour evaluation with 4 therapists in our little living room. He was pretty hesitant at first and sat on my lap and a couple times tucked his head in my shoulder (very sweet to see). But boy, once he got comfortable he put on a show! He was thrilled to have an audience for all his 'tricks' but it was amazing to see that he wouldn't get too close to anyone else and when one of the evaluators lifted him off the ground when he fell, he came running right over to me and gave her a look. He did GREAT! His cognitive skills were above his age level and everything else but speech was again on target. He does qualify for services based on speech so we'll have a speech therapist come once a week to help him in this area. We're trying to get the same therapist as we had for Alexander as she is simply amazing and wonderful but even if we don't I am sure it will be very beneficial for all of us.
Lucas might not be needing the services though for too long as he's quickly piling on the words...bye bye, huh (close to hi), up, uff uff for his dog and any dog he sees on our walks, rbb rbb for ribbit, wow, mama and papa (we think he's getting close to actually using these in context). He's also 'pretending' to get hurt to get hugs and kisses...silly boy - don't you know you'll get those whenever you want?!?
Today I checked out a local Montessori school that has a great part-time toddler program that Lucas will start in September. I'm so thrilled they had space as I really like the school and had planned to transfer Alexander there about a year ago but ultimately decided he was fine where he was (is).
And I'm also planning Alexander's 5th birthday party the beginning of August...oh and yeah trying to work in between all of this LOL!!
And one final note...Lucas is measurably growing in height...want to hear our very scientific method for knowing how? Well our refridgerator is one with the freezer on the bottom so the main fridge door opens about 29" from the ground (yes, we measured :)). Well for the past month Lucas' head just clears the door when we open it while he's playing with the fridge farm. We always open it slowly when he's there and sure enough today the door hit his head! I checked and no he wasn't wearing shoes :). He also feels heavier to me too...
Laura
3 comments:
Great news about Lucas! It's so nice to know that there are healthy babies coming home! It gives me hope :)
i love you !!!!!!!!!!!! i am so happy for your family too! great news and great pics
mom aka yaya
Hi Laura, I'm a friend of Paula's. Congratulations on Lucas's arrival. He is wonderful. I saw you post about a Montessori school for Lucas and was wondering which school you looked at. My son, Ari, is at Stoneridge in Beverly and we all love it there. My email is gjputnam@yahoo.com if you want to be in touch. Best to all of you.
Gretchen
Post a Comment