Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Little birthdays and big news...

Sorry for the long delay in between posts...daily posts for a while and then nothing for weeks :)

Today Lucas' turned 14 months old...I remember thinking about this yesterday and realizing that we stopped recognizing these monthly birthdays with Alexander right about when he turned 3 and how fun it was to celebrate the little milestones that we missed before he came home. So this morning I woke up knowing Lucas was now a month older and in a few days it will be a month since we first met him. I wonder if he's put on any weight....hmmm :). Amazing how quickly someone can become a major part of your life and daily thoughts. We're looking forward to not missing too many more of his milestones.

And to make this day even more memorable...we got our confirmed court date! We got news of a tentative date just about two weeks ago...actually while we were getting fingerprinted of all things...but I guess I am somewhat superstitious and didn't want to jinx anything by posting. Also, I know of a few families going through the adoption process that are having a tough time right now and I almost feel guilty about posting our news. But I do believe that things will work out when they are meant to...those who know our story in detail know how true that is. Not exactly comforting news though when you're in the black hole of despair. Eight months ago I would have never believed we would be where we are right now.

Anyway, we leave in about 2 and 1/2 weeks for a very quick court trip. We'll then come home to wait out the mandatory 10-day period and about a week and a half later Kali and I will return for a week to finish up paperwork and bring Lucas home! Paul will stay home with Alexander since another week without both mom and dad would be a bit too much. If all goes well we could be home the end of the first week in June...simply unbelievable.

The past couple weeks have been filled with a bit more paperwork drama...a couple more letters and submissions of home studies to the local 'office' and home study addenda but we're hopeful that things are getting resolved. None of this seems difficult now....whatever comes up will be dealt with and Lucas will be home soon. What will be difficult will be getting through our to-do list in the next couple weeks! Anyone want to come over and help put up baby gates again?

Laura

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wwoooottt and yippeee!!!!!!!! i can put up gates :D i'l get the next flight out :D when i chatted with paul a week ago, i mentioned he might get himself a son for his birthday again!! i am so happy for u all and kali flighting too!!! excellent idea, and how great she has the paperwork to go!!!!!!
i hav ebeen cking daily, if not 2 times a day--- so happy happy to u
yaya asa mom

jen said...

yeah! This is so wonderful! I can't wait for Lucas to get home:) What a pumpkin.
Beautiful news!!!!

findingourdaughter said...

That IS fabulous news Laura! And it is encouraging that something is moving in a positive direction over there!! How exciting!!
Can't wait to follow your court, gotcha day and coming home.
Thank you for all your support and sweet comments to me!
Hugs and God Bless,
Angie

Amy said...

Congrats!!! Yea! I was thinking it was almost time for your big news.

Amy

Beth said...

Congrats Laura! So excited for you and your family. Can't wait to hear that Lucas is home. Maybe we can get our Russian boys together this summer when we visit Beverly.

Jeanette said...

Congratulations on a court date! You are sooooooo close :) Have a great trip and can't wait to read more about it.

BubbleShare: Share photos - Easy Photo Sharing