Friday, June 5, 2009

Coming home

In exactly 10 hours our plane should be taking off from Sheremetyevo Airport in Moscow headed for Amsterdam. Then with any luck we'll make our very short connection flight to Boston. In some ways this past week has flown by and in other ways I can't wait for our 3am wake-up call. Lucas has been a complete joy...yes, he's teething, tired most of the time from lack of sleep and bossy :) but he's also funny, determined and affectionate. We got some serious belly giggles out of him today and I started to feel a real connection with him today....can't but help it when he waddles up to your legs with his hands up for another throw into the air or sees the ergo carrier and wants up. But it was deeper than those things too...something difficult to put into words and can only be understood by those who have gone through this.

I sit here with many mixed feelings...joy that once we land in the US Lucas becomes a citizen automatically and begins a new journey but also a profound sadness (in tears writing this) that today was his last day in his birthcountry and no matter my Russian background and holiday celebrations, etc., he is losing a rich and amazing culture. I plan for us to take a trip back someday but who knows what the future will bring or if the boys will want to visit. I know there is so much he will be gaining but it is bittersweet right now.

Wish us a speedy and safe journey home and I'll look forward to posting once we've settled in.

Thanks for following along!

Laura

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you always move me to tears by your sensitive and thougthful insights!!!! ok i know i cry at the drop of the hat (or less) but.............. :-D
love love love and yes, light and peace on your trip home. boy are you all going to have an WODNDERFUL reunion!!!
yaya aka mom, palua

Beth said...

Congratulations! Lucas is so adorbable :) I know the exact feeling you are talking about - it comes like a big wave and this new little person just engulfs you. Each time we've gone to Russia I have left a bit of my heart behind and I too hope my boys want to visit one day. Safe travels home!

Anonymous said...

thinking of you and sending thoughts of a stress free quick as can be trip home!
love jen

BubbleShare: Share photos - Easy Photo Sharing